Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Joy in the Journey

Yesterday I shared the celebration of The Crossing's 10-year anniversary.  As the Women's Ministries launched the Lord brought precious cohorts to help me.  One of the first and sweetest was my friend, Joy.  We met shortly before the first Sunday service at a women's Bible study. Joy volunteered to help in anyway I needed, but she wanted to always be behind the scenes.  Ha!  Jesus so had different plans for Joy.

We started the women's ministries with a Bible study. Then to welcome women who were new to the church we  held a newcomer's coffee--Mugs and Muffins.  (Of course, we were all new.  It was a church plant.)  I will never forget that I asked Joy to read a devotional. Her hands were shaking so hard that she could barely read it.

Alas, her husband switched jobs and moved my friend to Phoenix after only six months.  I was heartbroken and a bit angry at God and her husband.  But God saw a bigger vision than what I did.  Joy was only in Phoenix about a month before she became the Women's Ministries director of a new large church plant.  As an obedient servant to the Most High God Joy stepped out in faith.  She led Bible studies. Joy spoke at retreats.  Everything that she feared she faced. 

That was 10 years ago.  Our friendship has endured the time and the distance.  Joy has brought joy to my journey.  I can't wait to see what the Lord has planned for the two of us during the next 10 years.

Perfume and incense bring joy to the heart, and the pleasantness of one's friend springs from his earnest counsel. (Proverbs 27:9 NIV)
 
Travel Mercies,

No comments: