Wednesday, September 22, 2010

A Zigzag Through Zion

Surprise -- the road was impassable. My husband and I along with another couple rode motorcycles to Zion National Park this past weekend.  We were a pack of two -- two bikes and four riders.  (The two girls, me and my friend, are not "experienced" riders.) We paid our $24 per motorcycle to ride in Zion National Park, and began to wind our way up the incline only to discover the entire road through Zion was under construction--major construction.  The rode was unpaved.  It was only packed red dirt and hairpin turns.  This is extremely difficult and dangerous for motorcyclists.

Did I mention that the girls on the back of the bikes were inexperienced riders?  We clung to our Harley men for dear life until I finally shouted, "No more.  Let's turn around."   I think we made it about two miles before we chickened out.  We slowly poked our way back to the park gate and said we wanted our $24 back.  After a bit of an argument they refunded our money.  The ranger at the gate said, "I ride my motorcycle up and down it all the time.  I told him we were inexperienced.  His facial expression changed immediately and he said, "Well, in that case I WILL refund your money.  No problem." 

So I guess we will travel through Zion next year after the road construction is complete.  But here are a couple of photos to display the glory of God's handiwork.



Psalms 99:2
Great is the Lord in Zion; he is exalted over all the nations.   (NIV)
 
 
Travel Mercies,

1 comment:

Toni Ryan said...

Hi Susanne,

I traveled through Zion last year with my best friend who had never been there before. We had a great time! The photo's you have posted I could have taken myself! I have shots just like those. I remember each spot. Beautiful, just beautiful!!!