Friday, November 6, 2009

The Writer's Porch--NaNoWriMo

NaNoWriMo is here. Yup, it's National Novel Writing Month. The challenge is to write a 50,000 word or more novel during the month of November. Check out the site! http://www.nanowrimo.org/

There is not a lot that I find is unique out there in the writing world, but this thrilled me. Maybe because I have wanted to write fiction for years, but just could not seem to get motivated to do it with all the other stuff that kept pouring onto my desk each year.

However, NaNoWriMo has spurred me on to begin my book. It is an exciting thing to say, "I am writing a novel." Now, I may not get all the 50,000 words completed. I most likely will not win the contest. But the important point for me as a writer is to say, "I am writing!" Because writers write. Procrastination is a writer's bane. If you long to write, but then stare at the computer screen, do laundry, walk the dog, and make your grocery list, then you will be tickled by this video compiled by author Angela Hunt. It's in honor of NaNoWriMo and it's writers "finding more important things to do." Things Novelists Do While Their Novels Remain . . .Unwritten. You can view it on YouTube or on Angela Hunt's blog. http://www.%20lifeinfpages.blogspot.com/

Now I am off to work on my novel. I only have 1500 words written--need to write about 48,000 more. YIKES!

2 comments:

Joan Hall said...

I heard of NaNoWriMo while taking some online writing classes. I too, have always wanted to write fiction.

Congratulations on beginning your novel. I'm just happy that I finished a 1200 word first draft of a fictional short story for a proposed Christmas anthology book.

Now I have to edit - I'm surprised how often I used the "was" word!

Many blessings!

Melanie said...

Thanks for sharing this! I love knowing you're thinking about fiction! me too ... but just at the thinking about it stage - and glad to hear about your new bible study. what will it be on???