Thursday, October 8, 2009

When Your Child Hurts

When Your Child is Hurting: Helping Your Kids Survive the Ups and Downs of Life By Glynnis Whitwer
Non-fiction
Harvest House--2009

What makes me cry? When my children are hurting, that makes me weep. It is such a helpless feeling. When my children were in elementary school I distinctly remember crying over certain incidents that broke my children’s tiny hearts—teasing, not making the team, bullying, etc. I felt enraged and helpless. I would have done anything to take their pain myself, but of course, that’s not how life is when you live in a broken world.

However, my dear friend, Glynnis Whitwer wrote a book to aid parents when their children hurt. It just released in August. Oh, I wish this book had been around when my children were young. I would have kept it right on my nightstand. (I usually cried for my children at night with my head tucked deep into the pillow.)

Glynnis wrote from the experience of being a mom with five children, but also from her own experiences as a hurting child. She’s been there on both sides! Here’s an overview of a few of the chapters.

*Overcoming Insecurity
*Caring for Your Child with a Physical Difference
*The Pain of Loneliness
*Anger: When is it Wrong

This week I have been posting about raising a child strong in faith. When Your Child is Hurting is an excellent tool to help you raise a Christ follower, especially if you have a child who is in emotional pain. You can find it on the Proverbs 31 Ministries website http://www.proverbs31.org/ or www.amazon.com/ . Now don’t cry! Help is on the way for you and your child.

Until tomorrow on The Writer's Porch,

No comments: