Thursday, September 17, 2009

Babbling about Books--Thursday

The Same Kind of Different As Me
By Ron Hall & Denver Moore
Non-fiction—Memoir
Thomas Nelson Publisher (2006)

Every so often, I find a book that I think to myself, “WOW! My mom needs to read this one.” That is what occurred with The Same Kind of Different as Me. I read this small book while traveling this summer. Once I started it I couldn't put it down. When I finished reading it on my Kindle, I went right out and bought my mother the paperback copy.

It’s a story of pain, hope, and miracles. The miracles being what we can do when we allow God to open our shut-up hearts and love people with His agape love. Here’s the editor's review that I found on Amazon.

“A dangerous, homeless drifter who grew up picking cotton in virtual slavery.
An upscale art dealer accustomed to the world of Armani and Chanel.
A gutsy woman with a stubborn dream.
A story so incredible no novelist would dare dream it.
It begins outside a burning plantation hut in Louisiana . . . and an East Texas honky-tonk . . . and, without a doubt, in the heart of God. It unfolds in a Hollywood hacienda . . . an upscale New York gallery . . . a downtown dumpster . . . a Texas ranch.
Gritty with pain and betrayal and brutality, this true story also shines with an unexpected, life-changing love.”

Bundle all of that together and you have a first-class read. Although it reads as easily as a novel, the beauty is that this is a true story. One destitute black man, one kind white woman, one rich white man and how their lives changed when they learned to serve and befriend one another. The Same Kind of Different as Me as been on the New York Times bestseller list. The authors have been interviewed on the major network morning shows. I think you get the picture—it’s a life-changing read. Don't wait for the movie version (which will be sure to happen), but read it now.

Until tomorrow,

1 comment:

Joan Hall said...

Susanne - I read the book earlier this year - you are right - Wow! This book really touched my heart and puts into perspective what is really important in life.