Thursday, July 30, 2009

Babbling about Books--Thursday--Reflections of a Mississippi Magnolia

Reflections of a Mississippi Magnolia
Author: Patricia Neely-Dorsey
Poetry
Publisher: GrantHouse Publishers 2008

Today I am reviewing a poetry book. For those of you who love poetry and are poets at heart, I thought that this might be a refreshing book to read. Today I am babbling about Reflections of a Mississippi Magnolia. The poems are reflections of Patricia Neely-Dorsey who lives in and loves the South. This book is a celebration of the South. Ms. Neely Dorsey writes of childhood memories, personal thoughts and dreams. She wrote concerning her book, “There are many negative connotations associated with Mississippi and the south in general. I want to show a flipside of the coin. There is much to love about this much maligned and misunderstood part of our country.”

I lived in Biloxi, Mississippi for a time. This West Coast girl fell in love with the South—except for the humidity and bugs. In general, life in Mississippi moves at a slower, relaxing pace, and Reflections of a Mississippi Magnolia reflects this way of life.

As I read through Ms. Neely-Dorsey’s writing, certain titles drew me in. Here are a few that I turned to immediately: “The Southern Life”, "Sounds of Summer", “My Dream” and “Shades of Lovely." Don’t you get the feel of Reflections of a Mississippi Magnolia just from the titles?

Like poetry? Like the South? Reflections of a Mississippi Magnolia is available at Amazon.com.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Susanne,
Thank you so much for introducing my "little book of southern poems" to your readers.
It is greatly appreciated!

www.patricianeelydorsey.webs.com