Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Babbling about Books--Thursday--Our Greatest Gift

Our Greatest Gift: A Meditation on Dying and Caring
Henri Nouwen
Non-fiction
Publisher: HarperCollins
(1994)

By coincidence, I was reading Our Greatest Gift: A Meditation on Dying and Caring during these past couple weeks of such high profile deaths. Each time I hear of the death of a celebrity or grieve over the passing of a friend it makes me reflect on my own mortality. How many more years do I have?

I am not afraid of dying, but still I think about it. Henri Nouwen’s book is a grace-filled, compassionate look at death and dying. Are you thinking, “How morbid is that?” Well, perhaps a bit, but at the same time this book is comforting and thought-provoking.

Nouwen was somewhat of a modern day mystic. He was a native of Holland, author of dozens of books and a caregiver for people with mental disabilities. I have read a few of his books, but I think this one is my favorite. If you are a Nouwen fan, I think you’ll like this.

See you tomorrow,


No comments: