Friday, May 22, 2009

Friday--The Writers' Porch

The Wonder Words

Writers love the wonder of words and ideas. One of the best tips I can give on the path to publication is for the writer to keep a notebook or file folder (that’s what I use) with great words, ideas and Scriptures. Although you think you will remember—there is a good chance you won’t. My favorite way to record those “unforgettable moments” is on an index card. I carry them in my purse and my Bible case. But the most important place is on my nightstand. Because for some reason, those moments, minutes, or hours before I fall asleep seem to be my most creative. Why? I don’t know. Maybe it’s because I am relaxed and my to-do list is put to bed. Whatever the reason, I come up with my best writers’ thoughts at night.

After I scribble down the overheard conversation, the perfect verse, or just a wonderful word, I put it in a file folder with a topic heading. When I wrote my Bible study, Perplexing Proverbs, I had 12 fat folders stuffed with ideas, stories, etc,--one file folder for each chapter. I do this for my devotionals, articles and books.

I even jot down great words that I hear or read. Author Brandlyn Collins posts a creative and intriguing word each day, complete with definition, on Facebook. Fun stuff. (Also, find a great thesaurus to help you discover the perfect words as you write.)

I am not the only one who says so. Here’s a quote to substantiate today’s view of wonderful words.

"I keep little notepads all over the place to write down ideas as soon as they strike, but the ones that fill up the quickest are always the ones at my nightstand. " ~Emily Logan Decens


No comments: