Friday, April 10, 2009

Friday--The Writers' Porch

Last week I told you a little bit about my love and passion for writing. As I pondered the subject, I remembered an old poem that I had written and kept. I found it and decided to “publish” it for you. :)

The City of Love

There is a secret place called love.
Where Heaven is not so far above.
To reach there your mind must be free.
Come… take a wonderful trip with me.

Light a candle and inhale the incense.
Now hold my hand and we shall commence.
To a city where you are floating in the air.
Come with me, let’s journey there.

When we get there, you will know.
Once you land in this city, you won’t go.
There are colors of smoke in curlicues.
Come with me, I promise… we won’t lose.

The city is called Love, but don’t tell.
It’s a secret place where there is no hell.
I’ve been to love and I’ve got the key.
Come with me, Come with me…
(circa 1970)

Now here's the craziest thing about this poem, I was not a Christ follower at the time. But as I reread this ancient adolescent rhyme I can recognize God imprinting me with my future purpose. His Holy Spirit inserted truth into my thoughts that I could not have fully comprehended.

So as you write this week, remember that everything doesn’t have to be profound or even at all meaningful. Allow your writing gift to take you places that only God may know where you will end up. And if you have some old prose, poems, or even journals, review them. Can you take scribbles and use them today in a new context?

One of my favorite Scriptures is from 2 Timothy 1:6-7. I quote it whenever I teach a writing/speaking class.

For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands. For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.

On this Friday before Easter I challenge you to read, memorize it and then act upon it. Write from your heart. Write--do not be timid in your calling. Be self-disciplined—stick yourself in a chair for 15 minutes and write.


No comments: