Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The Gerunds of Life

In the world of creative writing authors should attempt to steer away from gerunds. What is a gerund? Well, a gerund is word that ends with "ing". Editors state that a "ing" word slows the reader down. So they prefer, if at all possible, the writer reword the sentence to elimante the gerund.

Now I was thinking about this as I was finishing my next book manuscript and I thought my whole life is INGs. Throughout any given day I am:

cleaning
writing
grandma--ing
excercising
eating
shopping
talking
emailing
texting

Do you see what I mean? Everyday is filled with the gerunds of life. These INGs of life do not slow us down, they keep us busy. There are certainly times I wish I could elinamte some of them from my day, but I don't think it would slow me down. I would just replace the missing ING with a differnt ING activity. Life is busy!

Thankfully, besides all the busyness we can add to our list of INGs, laughing, resting, napping. Life is good, let go through each day enjoying it. Let's not let the gerunds of life slow us dowm!


But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do not understand this law against gerunds. Prohibiting us from using them is quite disconcerting. Did that sentence slow you down?!

Jerralea said...

My whole life is a gerund ... I don't know how to stop!

Might as well enjoy it ...

Amy Jo said...

Ah..."enjoying" is definitely my favorite of all gerunds! What a fun post! Congrats on your new book!!! (I attended your class at She Speaks and got so much out of it. THANK YOU!) Blessings & JOY! Amy in OR