Thursday, July 10, 2008

Books, Theology, etc.

Wow! Lots of comments on some of my past blogs. Amy asked about being responsible to our call and our to biblical accuracy in writing.


Absolutely! As I write and speak the verse from James 3:1, " Not many of you should presume to be teachers, my brothers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly" comes to mind. YIKES!

I always work to be doctrinally sound and within the context of the Scripture of the verses I am using. However, I think our own personalities will show throughout the writing. I think of the four Gospels, Matthew, Mark, Luke and John they all wrote through their own experiences and personalities guided by the Holy Spirit.

I am currently working through a revision for one of my books. The editor was out-sourced from the publishing house. (Meaning she's not on staff, but contracted to edit). As I read through her comments, the one thing I find is that we "view" our Lord God very differently. Does that make either one us of right or wrong? No, but our life experiences, our churches, and our personalities tend to influence our writing. Does Andy Stanley write like Charles Spurgeon? Does Beth Moore speak like Nancy Leigh DeMoss? No. However, they all try to the best of their abilities to stay scripturally accurate.

All that to say no matter what we do for Jesus, let's make sure we are doing our best for Him.

Comments?

1 comment:

Janet Roller said...

Good post today. I take comfort in knowing my "voice" doesn't have to (nor should it) sound like any other Bible teacher (Beth Moore, Kay Arthur, etc.) If we all sounded the same and said the same things - we would only need one person. I love that God takes our life experiences and shows us through scripture how He is real and relatable to US...as long as our main message is wrapped up in His.
Thanks for the reminder-
Janet