Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Now I Understand

Now I Understand . . .

By nature I am not a procrastinator. Well, until I signed a contract in January to write my next book.. The book’s working title is “Dancing with Abba” and it is about developing intimacy with God. My life message is “Learning to trust God” by examining His nature and characteristics—His intrinsic goodness.

It just sometimes life circumstances seems to dictate otherwise. I know that “all things work to good for those who love God and are called according to His purpose.” I believe that with my whole heart, soul and mind.

But in 2007, I watched as two of my friends dealt with horrific tragedy in their lives. I was stunned by the enormity of sadness in my own heart. Thoughts of how unfair life is hung in my as gray clouds above my me. I dealt with a feelings of inadequacy as I struggled to find ways and words to comfort my beloved friends. Cancer plagued one friend. My other friend endured the discovery of the murder of her oldest child.

These two incidents created in me a major writers’ block. I held no desire to write. I had friends praying for me. A dear friend in Nebraska, who helps me with editing, finally emailed me and said, “We’ll just have to see what God is up to in your life.” So I sat and waited as my manuscript deadline crept closer.

Suddenly last week, I felt an urge to write again. Thoughts popped into my head that needed to be jotted down. Feelings, anecdotes, and Scripture verses were scribbled on index cards, so I wouldn’t forget them. However, I couldn’t find the time to actually sit down to write. Last week was busy with company, weddings, etc.

Then . . .

I went to church on Sunday and a friend showed me a book. “Have you read it yet?”

“No, but I have it at home. My mom told me to read it about a month ago. I just haven’t had time.”

“Read it,” she said. “We have to discuss it.”

So, I read The Shack. Amazing! Now I know that God wanted me to read The Shack before I began in earnest the writing of my own book. This book allowed me to get past the shock and pain of what happened in my friend’s lives. The Shack is a fiction book, but it reveals the story of God’s love like no other book, other than the Bible, that I have read.

Please find a copy and read it. You can buy it at Amazon.com or your local bookstore. I would love to hear your comments on the book.

But beware--it's unlike anything that you've read before.

Susanne

2 comments:

Sonya Lee Thompson said...

Susanne,
I had a very similar experience with sudden tragedy in my life putting me in a place of numbness for about 6 months. God so lovingly brought me back to Him and "The Shack" showed me that I didn't really think God was good, of course I've repented and now I KNOW that He is good! If you would like to read more about my journey you are welcome to visit my blog. :)

Sonya Lee Thompson said...

Susanne,
I wanted to suggest that you get together with others in your area who have read, The Shack, for a book discussion. We did that with about 9 couples and it was really fun. Also, my favorite part of the book was the chapter where mack goes to talk to wisdom. (I've loaned my book out and I have forgotten her name). That was really life changing for me! How about you? What was your favorite chapter?