Thursday, May 8, 2008

Life In Las Vegas

I spent last week in chilly Minnesota. Spring time is just beginning and the trees were just starting to green up.

Last night I flew home to Las Vegas. As we were flying across the Nevada desert I looked at my husband and said, “Tell me again why we live in Vegas?” (My husband is a native Las Vegan and his entire family live here.)

But it’s all in person’s perspective. As we left the plane, everyone began talking on the cell phones. I heard a man say, “This city is unbelievable. It’s great.” His perspective of flying over the city was one of wonder. The glittery neon lights were not even on yet. It only late afternoon, but the Las Vegas wowed him.

Actually, I don’t mind living in Las Vegas. (I do wish it was greener. But hey, I can fly to Minnesota.) When you live in Vegas it is just like any other community. OK, we do have slot machines in the grocery stores. I live 25 miles from the Strip. The only time my husband and I go down there is when we have visitors who insist on seeing “Vegas”.

More than thirty years ago, I moved to Las Vegas. I remember thinking to myself, “This is the most God forsaken place I have ever seen. But, I was in for a surprise. God has not forsaken the people of Las Vegas. His Light shines bright here.

There is that saying, “Bloom where you are planted.” Underneath the Light of Jesus, I have bloomed in the Nevada desert. I raised my children here and they bloomed, too. Would I choose to live in Las Vegas? Hmmmm . . . No. But I want to be where God wills for me to be. And for right now, it’s to live in Vegas. That’s why we live here.

No comments: