Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Double Portion

When they had crossed, Elijah said to Elisha, "Tell me, what can I do for you before I am taken from you?"
"Let me inherit a double portion of your spirit," Elisha replied.
(2 Kings 2:9 NIV)


Several times in the Old Testament a “double portion” is mentioned. I recently experienced the blessings of a double portion in my own life. The first night my son was in the emergency room, I stayed the entire night. My daughter-in-law couldn’t stay because of their darling seven-month-old baby, Michael. I sat in a metal chair throughout the night. I read a book. I listened to my i-pod. I never felt sleepy. I never dozed off.

The next day, I took care of Michael. My daughter-in-law took the day shift at the hospital. Again, I was full of energy. Sleep never overtook me. I bounced the baby, strolled the baby, and felt like a million dollars. (Whatever that feels like.)

Here’s the thing, by nature I am wired-tired. I need lots of sleep, but that day God gave me a double portion of His Spirit which is full of power and energy.

Praise Him for His goodness and faithfulness!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I wanted to tell you how much I loved your Proverbs 31 devotion this week. It couldn't have came at a better time. It is amazing how God works. I am going through a time of weeping and struggles and not alot of sleep, so this was perfect. Thank you and Godbless you!

Annasmaw said...

I read this blog the day you posted it and was blessed. I never knew that I too would be a recipient of the double blessing.

My husbands sister passed away on Tuesday, I knew I would have most of the family at my house before and after the funeral. Unknown to me was that we would have tornado like weather in Texas on Wednesday. We were left without power for 3 days and I had out of town company and a meal to serve after the funeral.

My double portion came from friends and neighbors (who had power) providing food and support. And by the unexpected blessing of sitting with candles and flashlights and enjoying our relatives. We were truly able to laugh through our pain and shine light through darkness of grief.

I am praising God for the double portion of strength and for the love and support of my friends.

Thank you for sharing this truth, I drew strength from it.